Friday, 19 December 2014

Christmas Playlist

I don't know if you know, but I've been blogging about music for two years now so it's perfectly normal for me to create an indie playlist for Christmas. Some of these tracks are old while some are new discoveries. As my two blogs are completely disconnected, I thought I'd share my playlist here for everyone who doesn't follow my music blog. If you're interested in viewing my masterpiece, you can do so here. Here's a glimpse at what I'm listening to this Christmas season:


The Christmas Song by The Raveonettes



The Raveonettes do Christmas in their own fashion. This is one of my all time favourite Christmas tracks and was a part of last year’s playlist as well. It has the typical Raveonettes sound to it and embodies the Christmas feeling in all of us. It’s one of those simple, happy songs. The kind that doesn’t oversell the spirit of happiness in any way. 
I’ve always said that The Raveonettes go well with a very rustic environment with fairy lights about and that works very well for Christmas as well. 


I’ll Be Home for Christmas by She & Him



This is one of my favourite versions of this song. I absolutely love Zooey Deschanel’s voice. Takes me to a different era. 
This song is so soothing, it’s a perfect Christmas song all round. Out of their entire Christmas album, this one’s my favourite but that shouldn’t stop you from listening to all the other tracks.


O Holy Night by Cary Brothers



I have always been a fan of their vocals and music arrangement in general, but during Christmas time, this song take it to a whole new level. I love how it sounds a bit like a church choir, and a bit like a popular indie band. It starts off slow and soul-touching and then builds and becomes more dramatic. 
Sit and enjoy the Christmas spirit with this one and a mug of hot chocolate by your tree. 


Christmas Treat by Julian Casablancas



I’ve been a fan of The Strokes for a while, and I wouldn’t expect anything less from their lead singer. This song captures a personalised Christmas spirit with a blend of guitar riffs and rebelliousness. This one is loved by all those who are perpetually on the naughty list! I feel like it brings out the inner child in me, the one who wants to rush into Christmas and not let it go. 
If you want Santa to crawl down your chimney, don’t play this on Christmas eve!


Blue Christmas by Heartless Bastards



This is my favourite version of the song, after Elvis Presley’s, of course. It’s a bit of happy, and a bit of sad which is what Christmas is to me. I love the raw vocals. It seems to reflect the emotions better and bring them out in me.
This one was a new discovery for me. I'd never heard of this band before and found them on youtube when I was looking for Elvis Presley covers. 


Don’t Tell Me You Don’t Like Christmas by Careless Sons



Such a fun Christmas tune for all you indie lovers! This one is so typically indie, which explains why I love it so much! If you aren’t one for Michael Buble (although I cannot believe that. His voice defines Christmas to me.) this one will be your cup of tea. Sit back and turn it on, or bounce off the walls, the Christmas spirit is embedded in this tune, helping us celebrate in our own unique ways. 


Christmas is Going to the Dogs by Eels



Another fun indie Christmas tune! This one is playful and quirky, set to the tune of Santa’s sleigh and some organs, it’s hard not to love it. It’s one of those that makes you appreciate the little things. Christmas is great even if it isn’t picture perfect, is what this song says to me. So do your best whilst enjoying every minute, then dance around the room and have fun with friends and family and make new traditions, one that isn’t sold by Hollywood yet!

Artificial Snow by Atlas Sound



Love the simple beats and mellowed vocals. This is for those of us who have no real plans and hope to make best of what we can do in the last minute. I don’t know about you, but indie music seems to glorify every situation for me.



Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Michael Buble



No Christmas playlist is complete without some Michael Buble (ignore the missing accent on the e. Couldn’t figure out how to type that out.) Everyone has that one song from his Christmas album that they call their favourite and listen to every year, and this is mine. His voice on this one is so light and whimsical, I feel like a child being lulled to sleep so Santa can sneak in and drop off my presents. 
Michael Buble is the one who brings the Christmas spirit into my life, so while I’m still listening to him, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Hope this holiday brings you good cheer and company and hope you return the favour to the less fortunate and truly make this Christmas magical for everyone. 

For more Christmas tunes, stay tuned to my music blog where I'll be posting them as I find them in hopes of keeping them from clogging my brain.

Thank you for listening!
x

What's your favourite Christmas tune?

2 comments:

  1. Love this playlist! It's different from a lot of other Christmas playlists you see, which I like. I love me some Michael Buble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas isn't Christmas without Michael Buble! ;)

      Delete