Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Out with my Camera: Coorg (Day 1)

It had been nearly a month since my last holiday and that did not sit well with me. I needed an escape from reality and an overdose of inspiration. What better than fresh mountain air to cure all my sores and blues?

I decided to split this post into two parts as I have so much to share and so many pictures to include. I didn't have the heart to cut any of them out.

This time I went away from the coasts I've been frequenting and took to the hills. Coorg is only about four hours away from Bangalore, and although one weekend is never enough to discover the hills, I didn't think too much of it as this is one place that I have visited so many times in my life. I knew I'd be back soon. Hopefully with a bigger crowd. Always more the merrier on holidays!


Unlike a lot of people I know, I really like the drive to any destination. I'm a quiet traveler. I've always got my iPod in, creating playlists as I go, and my camera in my hands capturing the view through the windshield. I also like creating a Travel Gram on Instagram for every one of my holidays so I have my phone or iPad ready to use too. This time, I got so much love on Instagram for my snaps which kept me in a good mood throughout the trip.



Coorg is made up of many small towns and villages in the Western Ghats in the state of Karnataka. It is known for it's fresh mountain air, cool weather throughout the year and a wide range of extracurricular activates. It's also the starting point of the river Kaveri, which many consider to be sacred and go to that very spot to cure themselves of any aches or pains or to get rid of some made juju that they might have stumbled into in life. 

We stayed in Madikeri which is where most tourists decide to stay. There are a lot of home stays in the area for those who want an authentic coffee estate stay experience, but we decided to stay in a hotel this time as we were only going to be there for a day.

We left Bangalore around 4 or 5 in the evening, so by the time we hit the mountain roads it was too dark for me to enjoy the view. I more than made up for it by snapping away on my camera the next morning. The roads were spectacular, surrounded by tall trees and coffee plantations that had just flowered, making it look like there was a thin layer of snow on the plants. It was absolutely beautiful. 





It got cloudy all of a sudden, hence the dark image. Didn't want to edit my images as I like them better raw. 



I took loads of pictures of these coffee flowers alone. It really does look like snow from afar, which is something for someone who has never seen snow. 

Just so you know, it's really hard taking pictures from a moving vehicle, especially on mountain roads. I attempted it anyway and a lot of pictures didn't turn out okay but I'm happy with the ones that did. 

The first place we went to was a temple which was the sole purpose of our visit. My parents are quite religious and felt the need for yet another puja as there was something troubling them. I was only there to soothe there nerves a bit by being physically present. My parents are still coming to terms with my religious choices. Although I am not religious, I am a fan of art and architecture so there was something in it for me as well. 

The temple was located high up on the hills, surrounded by mountains and greenery and cool water. It was made of stone and wood, a characteristic of temples in Kerala, and the workmanship was exquisite!





We were there for a while so I killed time by taking pictures of the many be


This temple is frequented by people from all walks of life. The natives of the area, whether they still live there or have migrated to urban areas, still return to this temple to seek the blessings of the Gods in good times and in bad. 

A man made pond at the temple with cold, clear water.
I managed to occupy myself until lunch time. We had lunch at the temple, eating on banana leaves on the floor which I'm not really good at. I struggled for a bit, before giving up and grabbing a fruit in the car on the way back to the hotel. We made plenty of stops on the way there, for the view and for other tourist spots. 


The first stop was at the place where the Kaveri river starts. They wouldn't let me take pictures of the official starting point as it's a religious spot, but I got tonnes of pictures of the structures around it. 


We stopped again at another temple as the architecture caught my eye. 




I don't remember what this temple was called but it had access to the river. We didn't get to go down to the river as there were a lot of people there. Hopefully, there will be a next time. 

We called it a day after this and went back to the hotel for tea and biscuits. Although it wasn't hot or sunny, we were all exhausted from simply being out all day. 

Later that evening we decided to go to Club Mahindra for dinner, which was a four star restaurant. The food was decent, nothing spectacular, but the ambiance was worth every penny. 


Driving around the mountain roads at night knowing that there are thick forests on either side is another kind of exciting!

That was the end of our day. I pretty much passed out the moment we got back, leaving all my packing for the morning. 

We left the next morning, heading back to Bangalore with a couple of stops on the way. I'll go through all of that in my next post as this is already quite lengthy.

Hope you liked reading this post and/or looking at my pictures. Do let me know in the comments! (You can also leave guest comments, if you like.) 

6 comments:

  1. Your photos are absolutely stunning! I haven't been on holiday for ages - very jealous of all your adventures! Lucy, www.aspectatorsport.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you get to go on holiday soon!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lush greenery around the temple!mits nice to have some personal time driving up to places and enjoying the scener/what it has to offer <3!

    X, Carina
    Running White Horses | Fashion + Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow looks amazing! Beautiful photography hun!


    Beth x
    www.bethelouise.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had an amazing time. Gorgeous photos as always, I feel like I'm on holiday just reading this :)

    Loves! Kirstie

    Kimamely Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the best compliment ever! I always hope that people would feel like their reliving my experiences. :)
    Thanks for reading!
    x

    ReplyDelete