Friday, 14 August 2015

July Playlist

As of last month, I've decided to do a different kind of monthly favourites post on the blog as my playlist is the only thing that changes from month to month.











July has been pretty eclectic for me. There have been some new discoveries and some old favourites popping up, some of which have been a surprise to me as I never in million years would've thought of adding them to my playlists!

I've picked a couple of tunes that I felt were best suited for this feature and here they are!

Headlights by Robin Schulz feat. Ilsey


This has been quite popular lately and it’s no surprise that I’m late to the party. This is quite different from what I normally listen to but I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t been imprinted to the walls of my brain. 
I liked it because it isn’t too loud and the beats are too overwhelming, but at the same time it’s got a tonne of energy that gets me up and going. I can’t say how long this is going to remain in my favourites, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Believe by Mumford & Sons



This band is known to everyone and some have often parodied their music and their Amish ways. I find their lyrics and their music to be quite honest and different, even though it falls into the indie genre. I love how it starts off really slow and light and builds up to vibrant crescendo. 

There's nothing new I have to say about them for everything has already been said. Except, if I were to be truly honest, that their lyrics always poke at me and remind me that behind everything that I wish were true about me, there is an honesty that I can't even admit to myself. When a song brings that out in me, I don't feel like that much of a fool in a world this large where no one has the time to care about another human being. 

Something to Remind You by Staind



As morbid as this song may seem, I can't help but play it on repeat. I'm a sucker for strong, raw male vocals and Aaron Lewis' voice takes these lyrics to another level. 

This song is the last words of a man before he kills himself, pushed to the edge by the harsh realities of the world. A lot of people have strong opinions about suicide and how wrong it is, and as sad it is to see someone not make it through, I don't blame them for being week to not be able to deal with all the shit life throws their way. I guess in some sense I understand it, but I choose not to blame anyone for the consequences. It is sad, though. Very sad. It's a hard concept for me to analyse completely but when bands come out with songs like this, it makes it a bit easier for me to understand. 

Brooklyn Baby by Lana Del Rey


Some find Lana Del Rey over pretentious, over dramatic, and down right depressing. I, for one, love those qualities in her music for it represents me perfectly. 
This song surrounds me like a haze of smoke and I’d stay there all day if I could. She makes the world seem like a better place, so simplistic even with all its complexities, that it’s hard to resist.
New York by Snow Patrol


Snow Patrol have been going steady with their music since they began. In my opinion, they never had one album that was better or worse than the one before. 

This song starts of slow and ebbs into something much stronger. It's about a long distance relationship and for some reason, it reminds me a lot of "Hey there, Delilah" by Plain White T's. Must be something to do with the fact that both of the songs reference New York City. That being said, the sounds of the two are very different. Teenage me would've preferred "Hey there, Delilah" whereas as me right now, would much prefer this.  

Shake Shake Shake by Bronze Radio Return



I'm going to end this post on a happier note with a song that is quite upbeat and vibrant. I've listened to quite a few songs by this band and they all have a retro feel to their music, in a different way than Lana Del Rey's music. 

This song, in particular, takes me back to Thailand everytime I listen to it. I had it pretty much on repeat while I was there nearly three years ago and I can't remember being happier than I was when I was in Thailand. 

I hope you like my recommendations for this month. Be sure to check out my Music Blog for more music recommendations every week. 

Thank you for reading!

Bloglovin | | Instagram | | Twitter | | Music Blog |

No comments:

Post a Comment