Monday, 10 July 2017

Late Night Playlist - July 2017

My relationship with my music blog has been on-and-off in the past year and more. I initially started the blog as an escape from reality as I was having a hard time coping with everything going on. As time went on, I made an active effort to come to terms with the world around me and the decisions I had to make to take me to a place of true happiness. Today, I’m not at that place yet, but a few steps closer. I don’t know what’s in store for me, but I’m getting the help I need and have stopped worrying about the future.


Music, as sad as it is for me to put into words, had been put on the back burner for a while. My search for artists and sounds came to a complete standstill but I never forgot. In fact, in April this year I attended my first concert. I saw Beth Hart and she was beyond amazing!
Today I come to you with another midnight playlist. If you’ve followed my blog for a while, you’ll know that I did this quite often back in the day. It’s midnight right now. I’m up coughing up a lung. I’m listening to music. There’s no setting more perfect than this.


Bang Bang by Kaleo 

 


The first on my playlist today is “Bang Bang” by Kaleo. I’ve blogged about them before. Their sound is one that puts you at ease while at the same time, makes you want to take risks. A deadly combination. I prefer to indulge from the comfort of my bed, but I urge you, dear listener, stay safe. 

Everything Kaleo puts out is golden. They’ve got the magic touch. From the blues in the sound to the moody vocals, it’s everything we want. There’s depth, the lyrics tell a story, the sound sets the mood, the timber and emotion in the vocals touch your soul. If you’ve got a dimly lit room with this on, you need no one but the music.


Skin by Rag’n’Bone Man 



It took me a while to jump on this bandwagon. But I finally did! 

This song blows me away! First of all, bold move to begin the video with just the vocals. I think this kind of sound is pretty popular at the moment. I don’t know what it’s called. But it has elements of indie in there with heavy beats. Popular in a lot of songs by The Neigbourhood, X Ambassadors, Bastille and many more. Makes sense as Rag’n’Bone Man’s album was produced by the same man who produced Bastille’s Bad Blood album. 

I started listening to him tonight after having him on my list for a long long time. I downloaded his entire album and am looking forward to going through it. But first, “Human” and “Skin” were the two that I wanted to listen to on repeat for the rest of the night. But time is fleeting, we have a playlist to build and artists to find.


Cleopatra by The Lumineers



Third on my list and a band that has helped me through so much and more! 

I remember when they first gained popularity and the world was raving about “Ho Hey” and there I was, raving about “Classy Girls” to anyone who would listen. 

I’m back to rave about another song by them. A lot of the songs from their new album are named after women. I need to look up what that’s about. I needn’t tell you this. You’ve probably figured this out for yourself. They have an iconic sound. When those first few notes begin to play, you know it’s The Lumineers and no one else. I’m so glad they haven’t changed their sound between albums. A lot of bands do that to appeal to mainstream audiences. 

Now “Cleopatra” is the first I heard from this album. I loved it instantly and it compelled me to get the rest of the album which I have been listening to continuously. There’s nothing new here that hasn’t been heard from this band, but it isn’t a bad thing at all. I love their sound and I hope they stick to it for years and years.


Think Twice by Groove Armada 




Tell me the truth: did the opening chords remind you of Sia’s “I’m in Here”? I have expected the words of her iconic song to follow. Regardless, this song develops into something similar yet different. The chord progression maybe the same, but the vibe is completely different. 

It’s a light listen for a quiet night in. Nothing extravagant. Sadly, none of their other songs appealed to me. Tell me if you think otherwise!


Just four for this one. There'll be more to come on my music blog which is linked somewhere on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment